“Let’s move!” we said.
“It’ll be exciting and fun!” we said.
“Let’s move in August in the high heat of summer!” we said.
Next time we move, we’ll probably do it in like, winter.
Not summer. Sweat. Bees. More sweat.
PLUS there was the added factor that wife is to change as cat is to bathtub full of water.
So it took a little prodding to get me out of our tiny nest and into a different not-as-tiny-nest (“But I like hearing the neighbors through the walls! It makes me feel all cozy!”)
But – I’m happy to announce – the change and the bees and the sweat was all WORTH it, folks!
Michael was right.
Our new home is the best place for our little family.
I love it. A lot.
I don’t even miss the neighbors‘ footsteps or the smell of what they’re having for dinner each night.
Plus, Tucker has like 5,324 new stalking spots, so he’s pretty happy about it. (Still trying to figure out how to fend off the stairwell sneak attack. So far, it’s Tuck: 76, Humans: 0.)
Anyway, my favorite part has been decorating our new place to fit our needs (nothing breakable because Tuck will destroy it – except for the candlesticks that I TAPED DOWN to the mantle), and decorating the spaces to reflect who we are and to make our home a haven for us.
My sister worked with our budget and helped us pick out colors and lovely pieces for our space, and she’s brilliant at it. If it were up to me, the whole house would be pink and glittery, so I think Michael was especially happy for her help.
Before + After Pictures of our New Nest!:
Wall Color // “Moonshine Grey” by Benjamin Moore // found at Home Depot. Pillows // Target. White Chair // IKEA. Mirror // IKEA. Coffee Table Tray // Target. Ottoman // hand-me-down, covered with duck cloth from JoAnn Fabrics (made by mama!). Lamp // IKEA. Side Table // church garage sale, people!
Blue Rug // Overstock.com. Blanket Basket // HomeGoods.
Curtains // IKEA. Side Table // HomeGoods. Vase + Flower (now destroyed by Tuck. That’s how I learned to tape things down, unfortunately) // HomeGoods. Mail Holder // Target.
Occasional Chair // HomeGoods. Candlesticks // IKEA. Frames // Target. Painting // Lindsay Cox. Cat Lounge + Cat…Pet’sMart 🙂
Some other tips we picked up along the way:
- Embrace the chaos – it’s there to stay until a few months after you move in. Might as well accept and enjoy it for the adventure that it is!
- Increase the # of boxes you think you need substantially. If you count your belongings and decide you’ll need 50, get 75.
- Pack room by room or section by section, starting with the room you use the least to maintain a sense of normalcy for as long as possible!
- Once a box is packed, label it and indicate which room it WILL go to once it’s moved in. Michael and I color coded our labels to make it even easier (ex: green = kitchen).
- Set a budget. Know that moving is expensive and you’ll probably go over the budget a little, but set a budget so you have realistic goals.
- Whole Foods hot bar is a great option for a “home cooked” meal prepared for you the fast food way!
- Be content with the fact that your new home won’t look perfect immediately. With budgeting and the time it takes, it will take months! And that’s kind of the fun part. Watching it take shape. Is it ever really done, anyway? Probably not. 😉
Enjoy your day! Blessings,